Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

App Review 2024

 Alabama Course of Study Digital Literacy and Computer Science 

Grade 2

Standard Topic: Communication 

Standard #9. Use a variety of digital tools to connect with other learners.

_____________________________

App #1: Google Meet https://meet.google.com/landing?pli=1

This app allows users to join in on a presentation LIVE. They can answer questions, complete assignments, read, etc. They can work independently or collaboratively with a peer. Various parts include connecting with other learners by discussion prompts and group work. Using this app does not cost. I think this app is intended for those in the upper grade levels, more specifically 5th grade and up, but could be used if taught explicitly on how to use it for those younger.  I would not go below 2nd grade for this program. You can access this app on any device where you have Google Access. You will need a camera or microphone to use. I choose this app because it is an app I use frequently for meetings. I would like to use this in the future to have my students connect with me if I am ever absent for a lecture/lesson. In relation to the standard, you could ask a special guest to join who may not be able to make it in-person to engage in conversation and connect with each other.

App #2: Nearpod https://nearpod.com/

This app allows users to join conversations on video, phone, or both. This is a great form of distant-communication. Using this app does not have to cost. There are options for teachers to purchase upgrades, but it is not necessary. I think this app is intended for those in the grades 2nd and up, with explicit instructions. You can access this app on any device where you have Internet Access. The teacher will need to create an account. Students do not need an account to use. I choose this app because it is an app I use frequently in my classroom for instruction. Nearpod has integrated programs such as collaborative discussion boards. I will have a question for students to answer. As they share their answers others can see what their peers think. This is a great way to spark conversation and connections.  Another thing I like about this is you can upload any pre-made powerpoint presentation and automatically turn it into an interactive presentation with various inserted activities. Nearpod is endless when it comes to engagement. 



App #3: Google Classroom https://edu.google.com/workspace-for-education/classroom/

The app allows students to complete assignments in various ways. Serves as a Learning Management System where you can hold documents, discussion, announcements, and more. Using this app does not cost. I think this app is intended for those in the grades 2nd and up, with explicit instructions. You can access this app on any device where you have Google Access. I choose this app because it is an app I use daily in my classroom. Within Google Classroom, you can pose questions where students can comment on. You can also assign various assignments to the same people where they can work together. These are two great ways to meet the standard of having students connect with other learners. 


Of the 3 apps, I think the app Nearpod is the best to use and that matches the standard the best. I think this because of the complexity and variety that Nearpod offers to have learned to connect with each other. I like how I can incorporate polls, discussion boards, documents, etc that students can complete on their own, together, or incorporate both. Everytime I use this app, I am still learning new things and I think you will too. Here is an awesome video tutorial for those interested in using this app in their classroom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgSFEb4H9Q




2 comments:

  1. Great app review, I like how you included a link to a tutorial for your favorite app. I also enjoy using Nearpod in 7-12 grade classes that I have taught. Because of the many features and interactive presentations, it is a great app to integrate into the classroom to better students' learning. Something that I learned from your post was that you can host a phone or video call on the app, I never knew that was an option on Nearpod! You might want to look into the app Seesaw, I think it is another app that could come in handy in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that your app reviews were targeted toward 2nd-grade students. I teach 4th-grade and there is often a big difference between technology that is intended for elementary students versus secondary students. I use Google Classroom daily and find it indispensable. After reading your review on Nearpod, I want to investigate further and see if it will work for my class. I had previously discounted it because I thought it was a paid subscription. I really like that you included a tutorial. I am most interested in using Nearpod to incorporate polls in my lessons. I currently use Pear Deck and occasionally Google Forms for classroom polls. I am always looking for a ways to receive instant feedback from students that everyone can participate in with minimal disruption. Thank you for introducing me to a new resource.

    ReplyDelete