Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

App Review


This app would help teach any RL (Reading Literature) second grade standard. 


Epic Books is a digital library for kids. There are audiobooks, learning videos, quizzes and much more. It is another way to get students excited about reading. The app is free for teachers and students. Once the teacher sets up a classroom, there is a class code that the students use to login for free. This app is recommended for elementary age students. This app is available on iPads and iPhones. The website can be accessed through any computer. The review site I have linked is a credible source because it is the official apple store preview. The reviews are honest and creditable. 



Standard: See below – App is directly aligned with math common core standards. 

Prodigy is an app for grades 1-8. It’s a great game for mastering math skills. All of the educational content is free, but you can pay money to unlock extra content.My favorite part about this app is that all content is directly aligned with common core standards. Once the teacher creates a class and selects a grade level, it automatically links to grade level standards. The app is designed for the iPhone and iPad, but the website is available on any computer. I have linked the reviews directly to the apple store preview, so I know the reviews are credible. 


Aligns with common core RL (reading literature) standards. 

Teach your monster to read is a phonics and reading app for preschool – first grade. I sometimes use it in second grade for my below level readers. The app helps teach students to read by reviewing letter sounds, matching letters, and little books.  The app is $4.99, but if a teacher sets up an account, the students to play on a computer for free. Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. I have linked the reviews directly to the apple store preview, so I know the reviews are credible.


I think the prodigy app is the best one. My students cannot get enough of this game. They play at home and at school. I love this app because the teacher can assign common core standards to individual students based on needs, or assign a standard for the whole class to work on. You can align prodigy play to exactly what you are currently teaching in class. If you don’t align a standard, it will just have them work on all standards. As a teacher, you will also get a weekly report on student progress. You can see what students are having trouble with each standard.  Parents will also get a weekly report if they link their email to their students account. The breakdown of standards helps me determine the guidance of my teaching and the student’s understanding. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the app EPIC!! I have it and I use it at home for my children. My 6 year old can try reading the books on his own and if he doesn't know a word he can click on it. My 3 year old can sit with my phone and let books read to him for hours. (He loves books!!)I recommend it to all my elementary teachers friends as well as teachers with small children for personal use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great apps here. I love EPIC! I teach math, science, and social studies but sometimes I do not have a book that will corrolate with what I am teaching. I can get on EPIC and find a book about EVERYTHING! I love this resource. Great pick!

    I also love prodigy so far. This is the first year I have been able to use it, but you are right! My kids beg to place this game. I like that they are so excited about math, since that isn't always the norm. I also love that they like to play it at home because it gives them a ton of extra practice.

    ReplyDelete